Vice President, Education
Theresa Schwerin is a founding officer of IGES, with over 20 years of experience in the areas of science applications and education, communication, and information science. She leads IGES education initiatives, particularly the NASA Earth Science Education and Public Outreach Forum, IGES science contests for students, the Earth System Science Education Alliance (ESSEA), a NOAA Environmental Literacy project, NASA Earth and Space Science Product Review, and a variety of NASA professional development and communication activities.
Ms. Schwerin has led a wide range of new efforts for organizations such as NASA, NOAA, the United Nations, WGBH Education Foundation, and the former Japanese National Space Development Agency (now part of the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency, or JAXA). Her work has led to the planning, development and implementation of international and national education programs, products, workshops, reviews, and conferences. Ms. Schwerin’s related education experience also includes conducting children’s programs in a public library system.
Ms. Schwerin works extensively with the NASA Earth and space science education programs. Her involvement in these programs has led to innovations such as independent peer reviews of education products, guidelines for NASA education product developers, training workshops for NASA educators, and the NASA Earth Explorers and Space Science Explorers web series. Ms. Schwerin was instrumental in the establishment of IGES’ ESSEA, which has resulted in over 45 colleges and universities offering online Earth system science graduate courses with the participation of over 5,000 teachers and 300,000 students.
Ms. Schwerin holds a Master of Library and Information Science from the University of Maryland and a Bachelor of Science in Sociology from the College of Charleston. Her professional affiliations include the American Geophysical Union (AGU) and the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA).
Recent Publications and Presentations
- With Delgado López, L. and Bernoskie, B. “Fostering Environmental Awareness from a Young Age: A Case Study from the IGES Art Contest,” earthzine, January 2013.
- “NSTA Labs Out Loud® Podcast: Episode 85 – NASA Wavelength,” November 2012.
- Schwerin, T.G., Peticolas, L., Porcello, D., and Bartolone, L. “NASA Wavelength: A New Digital Library for Science Educators,” Presentation at the American Geophysical Union 2012 Fall Meeting.
- Schwerin, T.G., et al. “NASA Wavelength Focus Group,” Presentation at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific Annual Conference, August 2012.
- Witiw, M.R., Myers, R.J., and Schwerin, T.G., ”New Modules for NASA’s Global Climate Change Education (GCCE) Program: Sulfur Dioxide and Carbon Monoxide,” Presentation at the American Meteorological Society 21st Symposium on Education, January 2012.
- Blaney, L., Schwerin, T.G., and Myers, R.J. “ESSEA K-4 Keepers Collection: Service-Learning and Elementary Teacher Professional Development,” Presentation at the American Geophysical Union 2011 Fall Meeting.
- Myers, R.J., Schwerin, T.G., and Blaney, L. “21st Century Learning Skills Embedded in Climate Literacy Teacher Professional Development,” Presentation at the American Geophysical Union 2011 Fall Meeting.
- Schwerin, T.G. and Myers, R.J. “The Earth System Science Education Alliance (ESSEA): Geoscience Education for Today’s Teachers,” Presentation at the American Geophysical Union 2011 Fall Meeting.
- Co-author,“Hurricane Katrina: a Problem-Based Learning (PBL) Activity for grades 7-12,” 2010.
- Session Co-chair: “Innovative Practices in K-12 Pre- and In-Service Geoscience Teacher Professional Development,” Presentation at the American Geophysical Union 2009 Fall Meeting.
- Editor, Classroom modules for grades 5-8 on Hurricanes and Malaria, “Potential Consequences of Climate Change and Variability,” 2008.
- “ESSEA for integrating climate change into the K-12 classroom,” Presentation at the 8th Annual National conference on Science, Policy, and the Environment. Washington, DC, 2008.
- “ESSEA” Presentation at the Sally Ride Science Education Conference on Climate Change. Silver Spring, MD, July 2008.
- Co-author of “Earth in Focus; Teaching Teachers who Teach Earth Science.” Encyclopedia of Earth/Earth Portal, March 2008.
- “K-12 Climate Change Programs for Teachers and Students” Presentation at the National Center for Science Education conference: Climate Change: Science and Solutions, January 2008.
- With B. Myers, Presentation at the “Innovative Teacher Training Programs in Earth Science” special session of the American Geophysical Union 2007 Fall Meeting.
- Schwerin, T.G., Botti, J. A., Dauksys, C. Low, R., Myers, R., Slattery, W. “Earth System Science Education Alliance: Online Professional Development for K-12 Teachers.” Special Issue of the Journal of Geoscience Education, 2006.
- Myers, Robert J. and Schwerin, Theresa G., “Unique Partnerships: Earth System Science Education Alliance,” Poster presentation at the American Geophysical Union Meeting, Dec. 2006.
- “Earth Science Contests for Elementary and Secondary Students” Presentation at the American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, December 2006.
- Schwerin, T.G., et al. “Earth System Science Education Alliance: Online Professional Development for K-12 Teachers.” Journal of Geoscience Education, May 2006.
- “Building a Better Classroom: Improving Teacher Education through the Earth System Science Education Alliance,” Presentation at the Special Session of the American Geophysical Union Fall conference, December 2003.
- With Nancy Colleton,“Remote Sensing Education: Past, Present, and Future,” Presentation at the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 2002.