GO Mosquito Campaign
The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is partnering with the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR) on a crowd-sourced science and action initiative that leverages existing capacity of the GLOBE Program networks of scientists, teachers, students, and citizen scientists.
Focusing on Brazil and Peru, the project will demonstrate the use of citizen science-collected data by local communities and public health officials to guide local response to Zika.
This demonstration project has five key elements:
- Catalyze citizen scientists in Brazil and Peru to collect mosquito larvae and identify and mitigate breeding sites of disease vectors
- Connect this citizen science initiative to public health and mosquito control officials to develop local risk mitigation strategies
- Support citizen scientist evaluation of community infrastructure to determine measures needed for reducing and eliminating disease risk
- Task citizen scientists (primarily students) to develop an action plan tailored to both the need and the resources available
- Provide a web-based forum for innovating and sharing ideas; reporting findings, research and action plans; and potentially stimulating replication in other communities